Monday 4 February 2013

Artistic Analytical Antics

I can't say that all of the lecture i had to watch were for me.
The one which held my interest was Peter De Sève.

His illustration style was interesting and especially the New Yorker covers because they seemed to take real life and exaggerate it just enough to make it realistic so that people will empathize but enough of a humorous or cartoony element to make it more entertaining to the viewer.
The Ice Age stuff was surprisingly good, as while I've never really been a fan of the films, seeing the process behind the character design and the translation of De Sève's drawing style into 3D was interesting, the idea that he took one face and played around with the 
proportions to create the final face.
The thing which I liked the most was the illustration style, and the painted covers on the New Yorker as it's
 cartoony yet sophisticated enough
 that it holds my interest, the colours used in the New Yorker covers help to create the warm atmosphere 
or the cold atmosphere and either way
are very scene appropriate.

Mark Craste from Studio AKA was entertaining enough, his lecture shows the power of advertising as a 
way of obtaining work but it's not a terribly interesting path to me, the Varmint segment wasn't clear enough
to follow, and the colours were incredibly dark. I get that it's his attempt to create vulnerable characters in a big
scary world but sacrificing narrative clarity and actually being able to see what's going on in certain scenes for
the sake of tone just seems a bit stupid, the actual visual quality of the animation was alright, again the process
of seeing a 2D character become three-dimensional was interesting but that's about all I got out of it if anything.

AJ Fosik creates sculptures out of a variety of materials, while I like the fact he's thinking outside of the box and
creating something extraordinary, I personally don't see the emotional aspects of his work, not to say there's NO
emotional aspects to his work, he himself said that his ideas which go into creating sculptures are very personal and 
apparently become universal, meaning others must see the ideas he's trying to convey, even if I don't.
Visually interesting, yes. Highly emotional, not to me personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment